Present: Mr Ken Brown (chair), Mrs J Burton, Mr D Palmer, Mr D Purnell, & Mr R Symons

Mrs J Palmer (Burial Clerk).

District Councillors: Mrs C Braun, Mr K Tucker.

County Councillor: Dr J Cordwell

The Clerk: Mr R Symons

The Chairman explained that due to illness in her family the Clerk was unable to be present. Mr Symons had agreed to stand in for this Meeting.

Present for part of Meeting Andy Beamish, Neighbourhood Warden.

The Chairman opened the Parish Council Meeting.

  1. The Chairman invited apologies. Apologies had been received from Cllr Mr K Larkin, Cllr Mr L Smitherman and District Cllr G Butcher.

  2. Declaration of Interests. There were no declarations of interest.

  1. The Council approved and signed the Minutes of the Ordinary Council Meeting held on 1st October as a true record. The Minutes of the October Ordinary Meeting of the Council had previously been distributed to all members and displayed on the public notice boards and the website. All members agreed the Minutes should be signed, as a true and accurate record. The Minutes were duly signed by the Chairman.

The Chairman invited Neighbourhood Warden (NW) Andy Beamish to address the Meeting. Andy explained that he had recently become NW for this area. Currently due to a shortage within the team he is also having to cover other parts of Stroud DC area. He has already been involved in North Nibley and will be getting involved wherever it helps him to increase awareness of his role. This is particularly with more vulnerable members of the community with whom he can help with Home security checks; working on the Careline; and improving people’s awareness of scams. Andy plans to attend a future coffee morning at the Chapel and will keep in touch with the Council through future attendance at meetings.

The Chairman thanked Andy for his attendance and for work he had already done in the community.

4. The Council noted matters arising from the Minutes, not covered by agenda items.

5. The Chairman closed the Meeting for Public Discussion and Questions.

There were no members of the public present.

The Chairman re-opened the Meeting without further discussion.

  1. The Council considered and commented upon the following Planning Application:

Application Number: S.18/2123/HHOLD Location: 12 Highlands Drive, North Nibley, Dursley,Gloucestershire. Application Type: Householder Application Description: Single storey extension to dwelling. Following discussion the Council agreed to make no comment.

  1. The Council noted the following Planning Application decisions by Stroud DC Planning:

Application Number: S.18/1880/HHOLD. Location: The Old Brewery, Pitt Court, North Nibley, Dursley, GL11 6EH. Application Type: Householder Application. Description: Formation of new access with steps to rear/eastern elevation. Permission.

Application Number:S.18/1767/FUL Location: Bird Farm, Stancombe, Dursley, Gloucestershire. Application Type: Revision to agricultural building approved under S.11/0227/FUL. Permission.

The Council noted that no action had been taken regarding the poly tunnels on site. This matter had been previously raised by the Council in its comments on the Planning Application (Minute 6/10/2018). It was agreed that the Clerk should be asked to write to Stroud DC Planning & Enforcement pointing out that these poly tunnels had become a fixed structure and seeking action by Stroud DC.

8. The Council received a written District Council Report. The Council received a written report from District Councillor C Braun. Cllr. Braun brought to the Council’s attention the forthcoming consultation on the Local Plan Review. In particular the proposed opportunity for very small developments that wish to have limited of up to 10 houses could be allowed provided that it is supported by a Neighbourhood Development Plan. The chairman thanked Cllr Braun for her report.

9. The Council received a written County Council Report. County Councillor Dr J Cordwell brought to the Council’s attention widespread concern over the one-day a week permanent closure of the Horsley tip. The Council decided to write to County Councillor Nigel Moore expressing the Council’s opposition to this arrangement. The Chairman thanked Cllr J Cordwell for his report.

10. To receive and discuss Reports of Committees and Meetings attended by Parish Councillors and the Clerk.

  1. Parish Council Finances:

1/The Council approved the Invoices and drew up cheques for items on the Payments Schedule:

A/ Village hall, room hire, August to October 2018 Total £36.00

B/ Vision ICT Website, hosting and support for December 2018 to November 2019.

Total £150.00

C/ Treecreeper Arborists, Tree reports, cemetery and churchyard tree surveys to include jubilee tree (to include a complimentary discount of £150.00). Total £850.00

D/ Hawkins, x6 contract mowing cemetery from 7th August to 16th October 2018, and x1 contract mowing churchyard, 29th October 2018

Total £1,060.80

E/ Wreath, Royal British Legion poppy appeal. Total £30.00

3/ The Council received an update on audit procedures for 2017 to 2018. The Clerk had received an interim written report from the external auditors stating they had not yet completed their review work on AGAR and supporting documentation before a certificate of completion could be issued. This was understood as a holding statement as no specific audit outcome had yet been notified to the clerk.

4/ The Council noted that the Council’s annual finance meeting would be held at Waterley Farm on 14 November starting at 2.30pm.

  1. The Council received and approved written Cemetery and Closed Churchyard Reports, presented by Mrs Palmer (Burial Clerk). The Burial Clerk advised there were two new memorial and inscription applications. It was agreed that the inscription on the memorial tablet for Mrs Jones was approved.

Prior to deciding on the Garden of Remembrance application it was agreed that Agenda item 13 should first be discussed and resolved.

  1. The Council received a report on proposed Regulations for the Garden of Remembrance. The Council agreed to accept and implement these Regulations for immediate implementation. The Chairman thanked Cllr. Palmer for his work on this issue.

Following discussion the Council continued Agenda Item 12. There was a detailed discussion about a Garden of Remembrance plaque to be placed on the G of R wall in memory of the Alford family. It was agreed that this could not be approved in its present format as it exceeded dimensions which were acceptable to the Council. Cllr Brown and Mrs Palmer agreed to meet with the family representative to resolve this matter.

14/ The Council received reports on tree surveys carried out by Treecreeper Arborists on behalf of the Council. These reports on both the Cemetery and Churchyard were very comprehensive and indicated a number of actions which the Council needed to take in order to address matters identified in the reports. The Council agreed to seek competitive tenders for the work and agreed to seek these from: Treecreeper Arborists; George Harper; and Richard Gabb. Tenders would need to include detailed prices for the work for each individual tree.

15/ The Council considered issues relating to ‘phone boxes in the parish. The Council received an update on recent work carried out by volunteers. It was agreed that the Council should follow up with BT/Openreach on the need for a sign to be placed within the box at Pittcourt explaining that callers can use credit/debit cards to make calls.

The Council agreed to write to the volunteers thanking them for their work and expressing the Council’s gratitude for the quality of their work.

16/ The Council received a report on issues relating to speed awareness. Cllr Palmer had attended the inaugural meeting of the Five Valleys Road Safety Partnership on the 12th October. A detailed report had subsequently been received and distributed to Councillors.

Following discussion it was agreed that a sub group of the Council should take these ideas forward and report back to Council with detailed proposals and an Action Plan. Cllrs. Burton, Palmer & Symons agreed to join the sub-group.

17/ To consider issues relating to location fees. The Council agreed to defer this item until the December Meeting.

18/ To receive an update on land use and planning considerations. It was agreed to defer this matter until the December Meeting.

19/ The Council considered issues relating to the defibrillator. Following discussion it was agreed that arrangements should be made for the defibrillator to be serviced.

20/ The Council received details of the Insurance for the Recreation Field. It was noted that this matter had been raised originally because of the uncertainty who is responsible for drawing up Risk Assessment for the Field. It was agreed that the Clerk should contact the Trust to clarify this matter.

21/To receive an update on the Parish Information Board. The Council agreed that it was important to progress this project. The Chairman agreed to speak with the Councillor responsible for taking this forward with the intention of setting a deadline for completion of the work.

22/ The Council received written details of Correspondence received. It was brought to the Council’s attention that the editorial team for “On the Edge” would value more information about Parish Council matters for inclusion in the monthly edition of “On the Edge”.

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.40 pm. The next Meeting of the Parish Council will be held in the Village Hall on Monday 3rd December 2018